Saturday, April 25, 2009

Cal Calling...

I want to go to a place where sunlight literally chases me out of bed at five. It swarms in through the windows and I can't help but wake up and welcome the morning.

I want to go to a place where I can wake up to my granny's warm and slighty sweetened light tea which is served in the most adorable looking china and veiled in a tea cosy that was made by hand for her by her cousin many many years back.

I want to go to a place where I can walk to the riverside early in the morning when the city's just waking up, sit there awhile...maybe buy jalebis packed in leaves and tied with string on my way back home.

I want to go to a place where I can see the past making it's way to the present...not like a thorn in the eye of "modernity" but as a part of the past which has been allowed to seep into the present and still elicits longing smiles. I love the way the house that belonged to Girish Ghosh is preserved in a way that the traffic moves for him and not the other way round. And the old homes you come across in the little lanes...a lot of brown bricks and spurts of green. Achingly beautiful.

I want to go to a place where the attention of the whole household surrounds me for the few days that I'm there...where cousins get back from work and make impromptu plans and everyone gets into the car and rushes to the nearest mishti store where you get the loveliest sandesh and radha ballobis.

I want to go to a place where beds are made impeccably. Maybe it's the bed-specific brooms or something they use but the beds are made the best in Cal. White or light bedcovers, stretched and taut and clean and nice with little side pillows and frilled pillowcases...makes you want to just leap onto the bed and lie there.

I want to go to a place where the windowsills project inwards into the rooms like railway berths upon which one can sit...sit and be a part of and apart from the ongoing conversation...where one can feel the wind coming from outside, gaze at the mango tree in the bagaan, touch the light crochet curtains some aunt would've made years back and occasionally have a say in the noisy Bong conversations where everyone's saying all they have to say at the same time.

I want to go to a place where the yummy smell of potol posto and shukto emanate from kitchen...where meals are cooked amidst stories of weddings that took place in the 1940s...who made a tail and attached it to the groom's kurta...who ate 27 rossogollas at one wedding...whose dhoti came loose...whose benarasi was woven with real gold... I could spend hours soaking all that in.

I want to go to Calcutta. If you haven't already guessed. I've been there just twice in my twenty years and the eighteen years that I didn't get to go there are starting to seem a little wasted to me now.

P.S.

And the words that I began to italicise halfway through the post are not just italicised because they're too Bong for some of you to figure out but also because they have to serve as a reminder to a certain someone of his much needed aid when I'm attempting something like this with my limited knowledge of Bangla converted to English spellings. Hmpf! Always missing :( I know you're having pav bhajis with extra buttered extra pavs which will all add to ahem a certain roundness somewhere.
Jokes apart, I hope you will read this. Hugs :)

14 comments:

SANDIP ROY said...

This was really fun to read and nostalgic stuff.. The bed para was too much... Maybe it was added bcoz someone is too sleepy... And i think last para refers to Tunki dada...
Best regards!
Guddu

Scribbler :) said...

You turned me teary-eyed, dear. I miss all these little Kolkata-dipped moments...that are now only my fondest memories. I miss those beds so much that I bought a brush from one of these Aussie stores (meant for cleaning something totally different...not sure what) to beat my pillows and mattress. It's not half as good as the 'jhatas' in Kolkata, but the act of using it on my bed makes me feel like my Ma.
Keep posting...
P.S. I miss 'potol posto' a lot :(

Shoma said...

@ guddu, yeah references like THIS are just for HIM! :P

@ Deblina, sad longing smile :( :)

ramyasastry said...

reading your blog is like taking a glimpse at your world and imagining what it feels like to be you :)

Dip Narayan said...

You know what, there so many people with an imagined Calcutta!

Dunno if it happenns to every hometown/adopted home town, but the image of Calcutta many of us have is often so personal and selective that one doesn't find it when one goes and looks for it. Elusive and imagined, both!

Also, somehow Calcutta is small, smaller than us who talk about it. Quite unlike Mumbai, which is so much a bigger thing than anything that describes it. I know I am sky-rocketing to conclusions, but somehow I feel Calcutta is so much seen through words and Bombay through experience. If I am allowed to carry this shaky hypothesis further, it is this very nature that makes Bombay always a bit bewildering (unknown if you like) and Calcutta slightly disappointing.

Take Paramount. This serbet shop is a strong presence in many imagined landscapes of must-do Calcutta. You will hear a lot about it. Once you go there, however, you'll find a dingy shop selling colored drink, and trust me, some of them you wont dare to put down your throat.

I always find the lived and not so nice Calcutta a stronger presence. Like waiting in a traffic jam in Bagha Jatin, or the always sad Scoop at Outram ghat.

However, I must say that tehre are places where teh imagined and teh real, the mundane and artistic, meet. And there are quite a few of them: college street, say, Dey's store.

There's a small door in one of the the dingy bylanes of college street. You will miss iit if you do not look up to read the sign board. The door opens into a dark corridor of a crumbling north calcutta mansion with classical pillars and ugly modern extensions. The walls of this corridor is line with book covers, mostly featuring recent releases from Dey's. After you cross a small courtyard you climb a step or two to the counter lined with customers. More often than not, I have seen young college students asking for Bengali texts with exotic names, mostly from Bangla Honours syllabus. Somehow the newness of teh names and mostly my age makes me feel a bit touristy among these people: they are mostly there with a purpose; they rattle of lists, haggle politely, cluck in impatience when they have to wait for long after asking for a book.

One is allowed to get past the counter, and then teh fun starts. There are stacks and stacks of them, new and old books all around you; and the sales people, around 4 or 5, ignoring you with in their nimble negotiations within the the stacks. I have spent hours and hours in getting comfortably ignored apart from an occassional, "Don't touch it!" and "Tch, that'll fall." It is very commercial: unlike the Oxfords and Crosswords, which consciously try to create a cafe/bistro ambience; but all commercial interest, and shouts across teh counter asking for that recent Ashok Mitro or the definitive Leela Majumdar, makes you aware that there are there are so many people who buy stuff for their daily necessities from a place that I treat more like a curio shop.

That is one imagined place where reality refreshes your sense of wonder. I wish I could think coherently and document all such places.

Shoma said...

Be my guide (I mean more figuratively, much less literally) and take me there. Dad says yeah by the way. But Astro's not doing too well :(

Cal is like those paintings I feel like it can't be changed

Raison d'ĂȘtre said...

this is "bhalo".... :)

Shoma said...

where did you pick that up haan i thought you were a tad wary of bongs :P

Ram Iyer said...

Had penned a few words on my blog.. wanted your esteemed critique on the same.
ram

Ram Iyer said...

Thank you for your accentuating comment
Well an idea like that cant be interpreted as negligence isnt it? The very point i am trying to make is for a person who is in that space of satva.. yearning to be of assitance... and my view point is that for such a person, the opportunity will come rushing to him, and so to say to stand and wait is not wanting to let nature take its course..it is in fact dynamic inaction..that assistance is not necessarily in proactivity, or motion..and thats why the tree which just stands there and says, i am all yours whenever you want, is the highest epitome of service..in your personal context, grief is a momentary blip which will look too insignificant if your scale of examination includes the society around you..

I'm all that said...

Awwww...That's just beautiful. I've been to Calcutta just twice. And i don't like it enough to want to go again yet :P. But it gets a little less intimidating with each visit. Who knew that bong veggie khaana was to die for. I just can't get past the language barrier which sucks. :( Still, my mom-in-law makes the best shukto ever. You should make it a point to try it out when you are there :D

Oh and the reason I love this post is i feel exactly this way, my object of affection being Madras. :X

Shoma said...

yeah yeah yeah, sis! :)

Darkness and deep said...

Sublime imagery!! No matter where you live in kolkata, the images are the same. Its a weird 'metro' city in that.
I want to go to place where I can find my soul.

Darkness and deep said...

.. in the sense