Friday, May 20, 2011

take me back
to my mother's stories
of Sirfira topiwala's feast
not cds of beauty and the beast

take me back
to my quaint tiffin box
with two cream biscuits of joy
not tupperwares and foils

take me back
to the excitement of new books
brown paper covers and labels so clean
not words in copies or blurred onscreen

take me back
to games of my own imagination
some cloth, some grain and solitude
not eric berne and colours crude

PS: Sirfira Topiwala is a character from a story my Mom made up from real places and events in a town I used to visit every other month till four years of age. It talked of how this lazy topi-seller uses his brains and makes a lot of money at a village fair and goes home happy - with food, clothes and goodies in the climax and so, the feast. I believed it to be true then and I still wish it was.

6 comments:

Raison d'ĂȘtre said...

Remind me of this one story we had in Hindi book. Some guy from Kabul gives away a lot of dry fruits and stuff to this lil girl something like that...

Shoma said...

Yes, that's Kabuliwala by Tagore. It's a lovely one - read it sometime :)

Raison d'ĂȘtre said...

I will be needing a translator for that! :P

I'm all that said...

It's been a while since I visited your blog. Glad to see that you're still as riveting with your words. :)

Darkness and deep said...

A girl who lives in nostalgia. :)

Pooja said...

Nostalgia..."suhaani raat dhal chuki", but it's always comfortin to get back to such things... :)